- 500 grams chunk of beef 1
- 1–2 cloves garlic
- 3–4 cm3 ginger
- 200 cc water
- 100 cc soy sauce
- 50 cc mirin
- 50 cc red wine (or sake)
- salt & pepper
- Salt & pepper the beef chunk. Slice the garlic and ginger
- Put a thin layer of oil in the frying pan. Brown the surface of the beef with meadium high to high heat
- Add the garlic and ginger. After nice aroma comes out, add the rest of ingredients
- Wait until the mixture to boil. Stop the heat. Put a lid on and leave for one hour. That’s it!!
- Slice the beef, boil the sauce a bit to adjust consistency. Serve the beef with the sauce. Open a bottle of red. Have a great party!
If you don’t have a lid for your pan (I didn’t), then you can use a sheet of aluminum foil as a lid. If your pan is shallow, turn the meat from time to time.
This recipe is originally from cookpad. A good friend of mine in Melbourne, Kanako, found the recipe for a home dinner party we organised. It was a huge success with a minimal effort on our part. Since then I cooked this with other friends twice; very easy and reliable.